Jose Rodriguez (M’81-SM’94-F’10) received the Engineer degree in electrical engineering from the Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, in Valparaiso, Chile, in 1977 and the Dr.-Ing.degree in electrical engineering from the University of Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany, in 1985. He was with the Department of Electronics Engineering, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, since 1977, where he was full Professor and President. From 2015 to 2019 he was the President of Universidad Andres Bello in Santiago, Chile. Since 2019 he is full professor at this university. He has coauthored two books, several book chapters and more than 500 journal and conference papers. His main research interests include multilevel inverters, new converter topologies, control of power converters, and adjustable-speed drives. According to ISI Web of Knowledge, he has a Hirsch factor of H=70 and more than 25.000 citations.
Dr. Rodriguez has a large experience as consultant for the mining industry, the most important economic area of Chile. One of his works for the industry, the regenerative conveyor belts of Los Pelambres mining company generates more than 10 Megawatts of power using modern converter technology. This project was recognized in 2013 by the Academy of Sciences of Chile as one of the 12 most outstanding innovation projects with high scientific value in all areas of the economic activity in Chile in the last 40 years.
He has supervised 110 students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 25 Master and 11 PhD.
During his career he has organized a high number of seminars, workshops and conferences dedicated to the application of Power Electronics in industry. He has organized more than 10 Special Sections of IEEE journals in different topics of Power Electronics.
In 2013 he was ranked Nº1 in the world by Microsoft Academic in all areas of engineering as the most cited author of the world, considering the publications of the last 5 years. In 2014 he was the only Chilean included in the list of The World´s Most Influential Scientific Minds published by Thomson Reuters, considering the impact of his publications in the scientific community. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 he was included again in this list.
He has received a number of best paper awards from journals of the IEEE. Dr. Rodriguez is member of the Chilean Academy of Engineering. In 2014 he received the National Award of Applied Sciences and Technology from the government of Chile. In 2015 he received the Eugene Mittelmann Award from the Industrial Electronics Society of the IEEE.
He played a key role in the development of the PhD program in Electronics at Universidad Santa María. This was the first Chilean PhD program to receive in 2016 the Quality Award given the Asociacion Universitaria Iberoamericana de Postgrado. Dr. Rodriguez was the direct supervisor of more than 40% of the graduates from this program.
- Name: Jose Ramon Rodriguez Perez
- Date of birth: 24 Octubre, 1953
- Nationality: Chilean
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Present position: Rector ( President ) at Universidad San Sebastian since March 2022
- Previous position: Rector ( President ) Universidad Andres Bello (2015-2019)
- Previous position: Rector ( President ) Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria (2006-2014)
- Academic positions USM:
- Assistant Professor (1977-1982)
- Associated Professor (1982-1987)
- Full Professor (1987-2015)
- Number of ISI Journal Papers >200 *
- Number of citations > 25 000 *
- Mean citations per paper > 100 *
- H-index: 70 *
He is ranked n°1 over 867.195 investigators worlwide in all áreas of Engineering, considering the Hirsch factor in year 2013.
*Source: Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge
Research ID: A-2534-2013
- Doktor Ingenieur in Elektrotechnik, University of Erlangen, Nürnberg, Germany. 1985
- Master in Electrical Engineering, Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM), Valparaiso, Chile. 1977
- Electrical Engineering, UTFSM, Valparaiso, Chile. 1977
- Technician in Electronics, Technical School Jose Miguel Carrera, Viña del Mar, Chile. 1977
- Professor, Universidad Andres Bello, Santiago, Chile. 2019-
- President University Andres Bello, Santiago, Chile. 2015-2019
- President Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria, Valparaiso, Chile. 2006-2014
- Vice Rector Academic Affairs, UTFSM, Chile. 2004-2005
- Head Departament of Electronics, UTFSM, Valparaiso, Chile. 2001-2004
- Head Departament of Electrical Engineering, UTFSM, Valparaiso, Chile. 1988-1989
- Professor UTFSM, Valparaiso, Chile.1977-2015
- 2000-2006: ELO 384: Industrial Application of Static Converters.
- 2004-2005: ELO 200: Research Workshop I.
- 2000-2003: ELO 281: Electromechanical Systems.
- 2000-2002: ELO 381: Power Electronics.
- Laboratory of Electromechanical Energy Conversion.
- Electrical measurements.
- Network Theory.
- 2008-2009: IPD 501: Thesis Seminar I.
- 2006-2009: IPD 502: Thesis Seminar II.
- 2001-2009: IPD 413: Advanced Seminar of Power Electronics.
- 1996-1997: Head of the Mining Group at Siemens Corporation in Chile.
- 1982-1985: Research Associate in Electrical Drives, University of Erlangen, Nürnberg, Alemania.
- Member IEEE, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), from 1981.
- Member IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
- Member IEEE Power Electronics Society.
- Member IEEE Industry Applications Society.
- Member of the Academy of Engineering Chile.
Awards and Recognitions
- Appointed Honorary Professor at Shandong University, China in June 2019.
- Appointed Guest Professor at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China in June 2019.
- Honorary Professor at the Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas “in recognition to his outstanding professional and academic merits in the field of engineering and scientific research”, Lima Peru, April 2017.
- Distinguished as the “Jaixi Lu Overseas Guest Professor in Haixi Institutes, Chinese Academy of Sciences”, China, February 2017.
- Humboldt Research Award given by Alexander von Humboldt Society, Germany 2016.
- Dr. Eugene Mittelman Achievement Award given by the Industrial Electroncis Society of the IEEE, 2015.
- National Award of Applied Sciences and Technology of Chile 2014.
- Fellow IEEE, for: “The development of new topologies and control methods for power electronic converters and drives”, March 2011.
- Founding member of the Chilean Academy of Engineering in 2009 and Secretary in 2010.
- President of the Rectors Council of Valparaiso, Chile 2008.
- Member of the Council for Superior Education, apointed by the President of the Republic of Chile 2007-2008.
- Guest Associated Editor de la IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics several times [Special Sections on Matrix Converters (2002), Multilevel Inverters (2002), Modern Rectifiers (2005), High Power Drives (2007), Predictive Control of Power Converters and Drives (2008), y Multilevel Inverters (2009)].
- Associated Editor IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics since 2002.
- Associated Editor IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics since 2002.
- Associated Editor IEEE Transactions on Industrial since 2013.
- Senior Member of IEEE.
- Member of Study Group at the Chilean Research Commission CONICYT, 2002-2005.
Best Paper Awards in Journals
- 2016 Second Best Paper Award of the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. M. Perez, S. Bernet, J. Rodriguez, S. Kouro, R. Lizana. “Circuit Topologies, Modeling, Control Schemes, and Applications of Modular Multilevel Converters”. Vol. 30, N°1, pp. 4-17, January 2015.
- 2015 Best Paper Award for the IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine. S. Vazquez, J. Leon, L. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, H. Young, A. Marquez, P. Zanchetta. For paper “Model Predictive Control: A review of its Applications in Power Electronics”. Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 16-31, March 2014.
- First Prize Article Award for the article entitled “Powering the Future of Industry: High Power Adjustable Speed Drive Topologies” as published in the IEEE Industry Applications Magazine. June 2012.
- Best Paper of IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2011. J. León, S. Kouro, S. Vazquez, R. Portillo, L. Franquelo, J. Carrasco, J. Rodriguez. Multidimensional Modulation Technique for Cascaded Multilevel Converters. Vol. 58, No. 2, pp: 412-420. February 2011.
- Best Paper of IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2010. R. Vargas, U. Ammann, B. Hudoffsky, J. Rodriguez, P. Wheeler. Predictive Torque Control of an Induction Machine Fed by a Matrix Converter with Reactive Input Power Control. Vol. 25, No. 6, June 2010.
- Best Paper del IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine en 2008. L. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, J. Leon, S. Kouro, R. Portillo, M. Prats. The age of multilevel converters arrives. Vol. 2, No. 2, pp: 28-39. June 2008.
- Best Paper del IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics en 2007. J. Rodriguez, J. Pontt, C. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, U. Ammann. Predictive current control of a voltage source inverter. Vol. 54, No. 1, pp: 495-503. February 2007.